In March 2023, the Winter Gardens were fully re-opened to the public following a complex two-year project to seismically upgrade and undertake major repairs and improvements to the glasshouses and wider site. The repairs and strengthening works were complex and required a number of changes to the structures, which have been carried out with the utmost care and attention to detail to ensure that the heritage values of the place have been protected and enhanced. This icon site has been conserved for the future. This has been accomplished on time and within the original estimates on behalf of Auckland Council.
Following the 1990s restoration, funded by a major Getty Foundation Trust grant, Salmond Reed Architects has worked closely with a succession of design teams, providing professional advice on new design and major redevelopment of the building and its displays, including major refurbishment of galleries, conservation projects and cyclical maintenance of the heritage fabric.
Salmond Reed completed the Conservation Plan for the Museum in 2002 with a review in 2013. Salmond Reed Architects, in close collaboration with the Museum, has developed a detailed Heritage Asset Management Plan and maintenance programme to guide the continuing maintenance of this nationally important iconic building. This document covers all aspects of conservation, repair and maintenance of the heritage fabric, and is updated on a regular basis.
Projects have included restoration of the central skylight, ongoing repairs to stonework and roofing, copper capping protection of the parapet walls, restoration of the Sanctuary internally and externally, including the copper roof and repair of leadlights and plasterwork.
Between 2014-2016 Salmond Reed acted as heritage consultants for the refurbishment of the second floor Cenotaph Galleries, Pou Maumahara (previously the 1866 Gallery) and Pou Kanohi (previously the Armoury). Hidden by display structures and black paint for over 30 years Pou Maumahara was refurbished to its original elegant architectural form, including full refurbishment of the 1929 clerestory windows, removal of black paint, plaster repairs and specialist paint finishes. Repairs to Pou Kanohi included refurbishment of the clerestory windows, plaster repairs and lime washing.
Salmond Reed Architects has continued their close relationship with the Museum, working as heritage consultants alongside design architects Jasmax and FJMT Studio for the recent Te Ao Marama South Atrium Precinct project which opened in December 2020.