Heritage

Former Chief Post Office

Location

Britomart, Auckland

Client

OCTA Project Management on behalf of Auckland Transport

Date

2023

The former Auckland Chief Post Office is one of New Zealand’s most recognisable historic buildings. Salmond Reed Architects have provided specialist conservation advice since this iconic landmark, dating from 1912, was first converted into the Britomart railway station in 2004. The exterior has been restored as the cornerstone historic building of New Zealand’s largest transport infrastructure project, the City Rail Link.

Condition Report
Maintenance
Plaster
Materials
Stonework
Specialist materials
Repairs

The restoration works to the exterior followed the completion of new rail tunnels beneath the building as part of the major City Rail Link (CRL) transportation scheme. Our professional heritage services and comprehensive documentation guided the repairs to the external fabric of the building.

The project was conservation-led, requiring careful decisions regarding material selection and the extent of intervention required to preserve the original heritage fabric. This considered the anticipated lifespan of the repairs alongside the future maintenance needs of the building, ensuring a balanced approach. The stone faces underwent a meticulous cleaning process to restore their original appearance, and the restoration of the exterior façade involved the skillful piecing in of new Oamaru stone to replace decayed material, following time-honoured techniques of repair.

In addition to stone conservation and cleaning, architectural embellishments that had worn surfaces were reinstated through the application of a complete new fines coat to the plaster elevations;  traditional Neuchatel mastic asphalt replaced failing roofing membranes; projecting parapet ledges and cornices were fitted with new lead sheet capping to resolve water damage;  and a full restoration of the steel window joinery was undertaken, involving careful bare metal preparation and repainting.

OCTA Project Management were responsible for the overall project on behalf of Auckland Transport.

More projects

A landmark merchant villa in Herne Bay, Auckland, was given long overdue attention by its new owners. Salmond Reed Architects was engaged to work closely with client, builder and interior designer to transform what had been a “half-way house” into an attractive large family residence.

This English Gothic Revival style church, constructed of Basalt stone with Oamaru stone decorative detailing was built in 1894 and stands tall on a hill in the centre of Auckland. It is the longest established church in the city. The original architect’s ambitious design was never fully realised due to lack of funds.

The remaining Sunderland Avenue houses follow close behind 2 Sunderland Avenue and complete the group of former air-base houses redeveloped by Willis Bond & Co in Auckland's masterplanned residential community, Hobsonville Point.

Contact our experienced team to discuss your project

Address

Level 4, Landmark House
187 Queen Street
Auckland CBD 1010

Mailing
PO Box 105929, Auckland City 1143