Heritage

Maclaurin Chapel

Location

Princes Street, Auckland

Client

University of Auckland

Date

2010

The Chapel, designed by Gummer Ford and Partners and constructed by Sargeant Construction Company, serves as a quiet place for prayer or contemplation.

Conservation
Repairs
Timber
Churches
Restoration

This 1964 chapel was the result of a 1947 gift from Sir William Goodfellow who gave a sum of £50,000 for the construction of a chapel in memory of his son, Lt Richard Maclaurin Goodfellow, who was killed in 1944 while serving with the Fleet Air Arm.

The building is constructed of reinforced concrete, employing various textured finishes - plain concrete, smooth and fine-textured render, and exposed aggregate - providing a hierarchy to the external elements. The original drawings show a proposal to cover the concrete walls with ceramic mosaic tiles, but this was not undertaken. The existing render incorporates mica flakes that reflect in sunlight.

Sr Mc Laurin Chapel 002
Sr Mc Laurin Chapel 003

In 2010 Salmond Reed Architects was commissioned to carry out a building survey inspection of external walls, windows and doors, following the incidence of roof leaks and window deterioration. The roof survey identified a series of common defects and we prepared a report including a range of recommendations split between maintenance measures and repair.

The other major component of the survey was the inspection of the windows located on the opposite east and west sides of the Chapel. Each comprises nine bays of glazing separated by eight laminated timber mullions, clad externally with a 0.15mm thick aluminium foil bonded directly to the timber, with polished timber surfaces continuing internally. This foil was found to be heavily buckled to the long sides of the staggered mullions, most likely resulting from differential thermal movement between the timber and the foil. Other sections of foil were detached due to the failure of the adhesive and thin coat of white paint to the foil (possibly not originally intended to be painted) had also failed, with significant areas of detachment and flaking.

We prepared a Specification of Works which set out Conservation repair practices so that the works could be tendered and carried out by skilled tradesmen to work with the high quality of the original materials and workmanship.

Sr Mc Laurin Chapel 007
Sr Mc Laurin Chapel 005

More projects

The house at no. 7 Symonds Street in Onehunga was built c.1860 and is situated on a large 3176m² property in the company of a number of large scheduled trees.

The Pompallier printery, tannery and book bindery is the last remaining building of others in the compound constructed by the founding French Catholic Mission for the entire western Pacific and is also the oldest surviving industrial building in New Zealand.

Contact our experienced team to discuss your project

Address

Level 4, Landmark House
187 Queen Street
Auckland CBD 1010

Mailing
PO Box 105929, Auckland City 1143