In 2010 our clients sought assistance in carrying out alterations to their century-old home in Epsom. The house was designed in 1908-09 by British-trained architect, Benjamin Charles Chilwell.
The Mission building and ancillary toilet building underwent considerable structural, architectural and services upgrading. Structural upgrading achieved not less than 67% NBS and included: new concrete ground beams set into the existing floor, steel structure built into masonry walls, roof construction bolted to the top of masonry gable walls, reinforced concrete core to chimney and plywood diaphragm fixed over existing ceiling.
Perhaps the most intriguing measure adopted was tying the twin-skin masonry walls together by injecting a super fluid lime-based product into the void of loose rubble, this effectively satisfying the objective to have a stronger single wall, rather than two weaker walls.
Remedial work to architectural elements included: replacement cedar shingle roofing including copper rainwater goods, repairing existing or reinstatement of missing original ornate features, window and door restoration and clearing away of non-original partitions on the mezzanine level. Services upgrading included the removal and replacement of pre-existing electrical and plumbing.