Commercial

Auckland Rob Roy Hotel

Location

Freeman’s Bay, Auckland

Client

Construction company

Date

2009

Now known as The Birdcage, The Rob Roy hotel is a Victorian building built in 1885, of significant heritage value. In 2010 the hotel was moved to enable construction to be carried out on the Victoria Park Tunnel.

Earthquake strengthening
Relocation
New Design

The construction of Auckland’s Victoria Park Tunnel occasioned a range of interesting heritage work for Salmond Reed Architects, including the temporary relocation and restoration of the historic Rob Roy Hotel in Freeman’s Bay.

In 2010 the hotel was moved to enable construction to be carried out on the tunnel and then in April of 2011 it was slid back forty metres to its original location, now sited over the southern entrance to the tunnel. Moving the hotel was the climax of six months of painstaking planning to ensure preservation of the Rob Roy as a landmark in the Freemans Bay community. This preparation included structural strengthening of the building and provision of new foundations onto which the masonry hotel was slid, using specially built concrete runway beams. The double move was carried out with the design expertise of Wellington engineers, Dunning Thornton Consultants.

Salmond Reed Architects’s key role was to ensure that the heritage values of the hotel were maintained during this process. Working alongside archaeologists, Clough & Associates, we carried out heritage documentation of the hotel and were also engaged to prepare documentation for the additions and upgrading required to ensure reinstatement and effective ongoing commercial and hospitality uses.

Rob Roy 02
Rob Roy 03

More projects

The Pompallier printery, tannery and book bindery is the last remaining building of others in the compound constructed by the founding French Catholic Mission for the entire western Pacific and is also the oldest surviving industrial building in New Zealand.

All Saints’ Church in Hokitika is of great significance to New Zealand’s history and the South Island in particular. It is a Category I listed heritage building and a WWI Memorial and a rare example of the early use of reinforced concrete cavity construction. The Church required urgent repairs to prevent further deterioration through water ingress and seismic upgrade work.

This house, conceived as a building in a landscape, lies at the centre of a 15 year regeneration project focused on the protection of native plants and birds.

Contact our experienced team to discuss your project

Address

Level 4, Landmark House
187 Queen Street
Auckland CBD 1010

Mailing
PO Box 105929, Auckland City 1143